Thursday, July 15, 2010

It's Time to Look At The Judicial Races

Here they are, in Alphabetical order:

CIRCUIT COURT, Division 4

Lorrie Ridder was appointed by Governor Bredesen; however, I have met and talked to Gina Carol Higgins (as she's listed on the ballot) on several occasions, and she has impressed me with her knowledge and her sharpness.  I am voting for GINA CAROL HIGGINS for this position.  Michael G. Floyd is also on the ballot.

CIRCUIT COURT, Division 8

The incumbent, RHYNETTE NORTHCROSS HURD, is also a Bredesen appointee, and I got to speak to her while I was cooling off in her tent at the Chism Picnic.  She seems to have a solid knowledge and understanding of the position, and I am voting to retain her for this position.  Also running for this judgeship are Joe Dae Jenkins, Venita Martin and Robert "Bob" Weiss.

CRIMINAL COURT, Division 3

There are several good candidates in this race, such as Bobby Carter and Glenn Wright, whom the Commercial Appeal endorsed.  However, my choice is GERALD SKAHAN, a longtime criminal defense attorney with vast experience in death penalty cases.  Yes, he is the brother of current Division 1 Judge Paula Skahan, whom I have known and supported for several years.  However, it is his experience in criminal defense that brought me to choose him.  In addition to the candidates listed above, Latonya Sue Burrow, Claiborne Ferguson and Larry H. Nance are seeking this office.

GENERAL SESSIONS CRIMINAL COURT, Division 7

Ok, there's too damn many people running for me to list them all, go here if you want to know who is running.  TWENTY of them, in fact.  There are several people that I like here, such as former judge Mischelle Alexander Best, prosecutor Billy Bond, civil attorney Derek Renfroe and prosecutor Bryan Davis.  However, my choice for the position is attorney RANDALL TOLLEY, as I agree with his platform to reform the court system, which may be found here.  I talked to him tonight at an event in his honor at Scott Banbury's home, and that sealed the deal for me.

GENERAL SESSIONS CRIMINAL COURT, Division 10

This is between incumbent LEE WILSON and former legislation and General Sessions Clerk Chris Turner, and Wilson is my choice.  Turner has not practiced law in the courts in many years, and Wilson is very well respected and liked by the attorneys with whom I have spoken.  I am supporting LEE WILSON for re-election to this position.

Ok, as always, your mileage may vary.  Tomorrow, I tell you for whom I am voting for Congress! Oh, wait, you kinda figured that one out already, didn't you?  :-)

No comments: